Once I got Sparta safely settled on her little hilltop it was time to empty her of the accoutrements necessary for her ultimate makeover – cabinets, window frames, trim and tools all had to be offloaded from the voyage. This, in order to prepare the floor for leveling. Of course to pour underlayment one must first level the vessel. With four adjustable auto jacks and the screw-jack from my girlfiend’s Audi (note: 3000 lb. weight limit not ideally suited), I adjusted each corner using a large carpenter’s level.
It had been years since I last worked with self-leveling underlayment and was not confident tackling the entire floor at once. So I poured a test-section. Keep in mind Sparta’s floor was a hodge-podge of original flooring, large sections of 3/4″ plywood with irregular seams and a variety of small patches (like where I plugged the old heat vents). In short, the floor had become an ugly reminder that yours truly is an amateur and it needed to be silenced. The test section chosen was the roughly 3′ X 8′ space directly below the future bedroom closet.
Prior to pouring I had to finish floor prep. This involved:
1.) Finding all the little seams and old screw holes and filling them with super hard patch (comes in a can. Lots of choices)
2.) Plugging the gaps running along the bottom of the wall panels where they reach the floor. I had a bunch of leftover window seal that was too thin. Perfect for this task.
3.) Scrape off all but the most stubborn floor tiles. The majority of these came off with a putty knife, though they were brittle and broke into smaller pieces. Sometimes I couldn’t get them all off.
4.) Applying the diluted (1:1 with water) Henry underlayment primer with a brush. This to maximize adhesion.
Here are some pics: