To begin cabinet restoration I started with the easiest and coolest segment – the built-in bedroom armoire. I say easiest because it had the most complete and usable components and coolest because the detailing and finishings are, well, cool. In my last post I showed some of the bug damage afflicting the original pieces and it was fairly extensive. But unlike the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, there was no water damage at the bedroom end and so the overall condition was pretty good.
Having assessed the damage to original pieces I went to Home Depot only to find that they did not stock birch cabinet components. I needed 1-3/4 X 1-3/4″ lengths and 3/4 X 2-1/2″ and 3/4 X 3″ pieces. The closest match I could find was Alder which is in the Birch family and a semi-hardwood of moderate price. They did not stock wood of the exact dimensions so I bought several 8′ lengths of 3/4 X 3/4″ and 3/4 X 3.5″. These I had to either glue or rip to acheive the desired dimensions.
With the pieces that were larger than needed, I had to rip them to size. Normally this would be done with a table or bandsaw but I lack the equipment so carefully cut the lengths to size with a jig.